[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Resistance of a pole pig

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, April 11, 1998 4:53 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Resistance of a pole pig

At 12:43 AM 4/8/98 -0500, you wrote:

>----------

---------------------------    big snip

  Jim, All -

  The local electric utility would be little affected when you test your
transformer  for percent impedance if you do it correctly. It is actually a
simple test and requires very little current. The percent impedance is used
by electrical engineers to find the short circuit current of the transformer.

  A schematic diagram and an example is shown in my Tesla Coil Design
Manual. There is also much more Tesla coil information shown in the Manual.

  The percent impedance is important for Tesla coils because a lower
impedance will give you a longer output spark, other parameters being equal.
This is why you should not compare a spark output from a 5 KVA (full load)
transformer to one from a 10 KVA that appears to be operating at 5 KVA.

  John Couture