[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

40 mil LDPE and 5kv Transformers?

----------
From:  Steve Falco [SMTP:sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, April 09, 1998 5:43 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: 40 mil LDPE and 5kv Transformers?

> Steve,
>
> Series caps are always best, but the .040 poly whould do OK provided you
> hold your power down to under 2KW.  I have successfully used .040 up to
> 7.5KV when holding power under 1KW.  I suggest a flat plate design for lower
> voltages.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

Thanks for the feedback.  It is always good to hear of a real success
rather than a theoretical answer.

Flat plate is what I am planning, to get the lowest ESR.  I have already
cut squares of LDPE 11.5" on a side, to be used with heavy Al foil, 9"
wide.  Depending on how thick a stack I think I can handle mechanically,
I may divide the plastic up and put two caps in parallel, or I may be
able to get it all in one.