[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark Gaps

----------
From:  Antonio C. M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Thursday, April 09, 1998 1:11 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Spark Gaps

Jim Lux wrote:

> 3) Faster interruption of the spark. As opposed to just waiting for the
> current to go through a zero, the gap is physically separated. The sudden
> circuit opening causes the voltage across the primary inductor to rise,
> inducing a similar rise in the secondary. The faster the interruption
> (di/dt) the more the rise.

Do this really work? This would be like operating a Tesla coil as an
induction coil. The theory saying that there is a great increase in the
secondary voltage or a two-coil system after the opening of the spark
gap (Corums) may be due to this effect (otherwise I don't see how).

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq