[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RSG electrode material

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, April 08, 1998 7:11 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: RSG electrode material

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Richard,

I agree with your assessment. However, I also checked out the prices or
Elkonite (and similar powder metallurgy Cu-W alloys) a while back - this
material's considerably more expensive than plain pure tungsten rod. The
major advantage of this material over tungsten is it's improved
electrical conductivity which makes it very useful for spot-welding
electrodes. It is also claimed that copper-tungsten alloys give the
longest life (minimal electrode erosion) in triggered high current spark
gaps (in a nitrogen atmosphere - Vitkovitsky in "High Power Switching").
However, tungsten comes in at a close 2nd place. From a practical
standpoint, tungsten seems to be the most cost-effective choice.

BTW, a couple of other references that cover sparkgap electrode
performance and erosion can be found in:

A.L. Donaldson, M.O. Hagler, M. Kristiansen, G. Jackson, and L.
Hatfield, "Electrode Erosion in a High Energy Spark Gap", in the Digest
of Technical Papers of the Fourth Pulsed Power Conference, 1983, IEEE
cat 83CH1908-3, pp530-533.

However, the best overall modern "bible" on high energy sparkgaps is:
Gerhard Schaefer, M. Kristiansen, A. Guenther, "Gas Discharge Closing
Switches", Plenum Press, 1990, ISBN 0-306-43619-1. Look for this book...
it's definately worth getting!

Hope this helps...

-- Bert --