[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnifier Over coupled

----------
From:  dwight duncan [SMTP:duncand-at-ccsalpha2.nrl.navy.mil]
Sent:  Monday, April 06, 1998 6:10 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Magnifier Over coupled

Hi all,

    I just sent some pictures to Chip today on my 3 KW magnifier and should
probably show up in a day or two.  The interesting thing that I experienced
during initial energization of the system is the RF transformer (coils 1
and 2) were as tightly coupled as possible.  The problem was that the
secondary arced between the windings just as a classic TC would if it was
over coupled.  So I decreased the coupling and it ran fine. I could get a
2" white hot arc off the secondaries output to ground.
    I suspect that the problem that I was having lied in the inability form
the rotary gap to quench fast enough for that tight of coupling.

  Comments and questions are welcome,

Dwight