[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Seeking Advanced Spark Gap Information

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Saturday, April 04, 1998 11:19 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Seeking Advanced Spark Gap Information

Hi all,
        I have been examining the voltage and current waveforms across a
spark gap with an advanced 30MHz bandwidth fiber-optic probe system.  What I
see is amazing!!  Honestly, I don't believe it.  I will elaborate more when
I know this is real.
        I am seeking any information from any one who may have connected a
spectrum analyzer to an antenna near a coil or who has any knowledge of very
powerful high frequency signals being generated by Tesla coils.  These
signals would be at a fairly constant frequency in the 10-100MHz range and
would be pulsed in sync with the gap firing.  They would probably be more
powerful than the fundamental frequency signals and may appear as a set if
Fourier spikes on an analyzer.
        Also, anyone who has advanced knowledge of how the spark in the gap
is generated and maintained during the firing cycle please let me know and
I'll bounce this off you to see what you think.

        I may be seeing something that is not real and I am looking for
independent information that would confirm what I see.  If it is real, this
whole spark gap business just got much more complex!

Thanks and I'll explain more when I know I haven't goofed. :-)

        Terry

        terryf-at-varinet-dot-com
or
        terryf-at-peakpeak-dot-com