[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Help with Custom Cap thoughts??

----------
From:  Barton B. Anderson [SMTP:mopar-at-mn.uswest-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, April 03, 1998 9:00 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Help with Custom Cap thoughts??

DJ,

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

More like 0.0043uF at 19KV. It's wise to design for 2.5 times the max voltage
you will be running. You could run 7kv ok, but I wouldn't push it beyond this.

> I've got to get a micrometer and find out how thick this stuff actually is.
>
> Q1: Does this have chance of working? <g>

Yes.

> Q2: In this scenario do I get to count the surface area of both conductive
> plates C2 and C3 or just one because they are in reality joined?

Just one. It's the "area" over the dielectric, not the thickness that counts.

> Q3: Do plates C2/C3 have to be physically connected to the end plate C6 and
> does C4/C5 need connected to C1.... or does the current pass thru C1 then
> D1, C2 & C3, D2, C4 & C5, D3 and finally C6??

C2/C3 are physically connected and must be physically connected to C6. Same with
the other.

> Q4: Doesn't my design actually just connect 3 capacitors (plates) in
> parallel?  (I hope it is really that simple and I've just made another
> mountain out of a molehill, my specialty.)

No. Your design makes one capacitor (as it should). For a parallel config, C1-C3
should be connected and C2 separated from C3. C2-C4 should be connected and C4
separated from C5, etc...

> Q5: Assuming it works at all, is there a chance they will work without an
> oil bath.  I just don't see the necessity for oil since AL is bonded to poly
> (no air gaps there) and corona would have to jump either 11/16" inch of air
> around edge to avoid 3/16" poly or jump 7/16" thru holes to avoid the 3/16"
> poly.  Or is that what can happen by "surface effect" and the oil somehow
> alleviate that??

They would probably work without an oil bath, but I wouldn't recommend it. I
think corona would still dominate causing potential flashovers. Air can be
ionized easily. Oil removes the air and dissipates heat. Two important quality's
for a long lasting cap.

> Q6: I got this material though scraps at a construction site.  I need to
> check pricing but wouldn't it be really easy to just buy a 4' x 8' sheet and
> rout off a 1/2" strip of the AL on both sides, place one electrode on each
> side at opposite ends, get about .0085uF and call it finished??  A tad
> unwieldy but hey, I like the labor level......Of course you pole pig types
> will need to stack a half dozen of these....

Yes, it would probably work. I can't imagine the size not being a real bother
though.Good luck with this design if you pursue it. Keep us posted how it works
out.

|_Bart_|