[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

High voltage wire

----------
From:  Bill the arcstarter [SMTP:arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, April 02, 1998 1:15 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: High voltage wire

It was written:

>>Cheap source for high voltage wire?
>>
>Regular wire with some non-metalic rubber air hose around it.

Careful here!  I recently tried using some automobile vacuum hose for
this and here's what happened:

Measured insulation resistance on the outside of the tubing at points
about one inch apart:  Read >20 Megohm

Inserted a piece of #10 copper wire into either end of a three inch
length of the same type of hose.  Measured the resistance from end to
end:  Read 300 ohms.  More than enough conductance to light an LED off a
9v battery, much less act as a better conductor than nonconductor for HV
applications!

This stuff was completely unsuitable for the purpose which I had
intended.  Of course I didn't discover that until I had incorporated
about twenty small pieces of the stuff into the HV device...

You might be OK using clear vinyl tubing for a HV insulator...

-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160