[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cutting Tungsten (fwd)

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, April 01, 1998 10:41 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Cutting Tungsten  (fwd)

Interestingly, I put an unused  2% thoriated electrode next to my GM
counter's alpha window and got NO increase in count rate. Perhaps the
electrode is plated with tungsten ( a mighty good alpha blocker) or even a
film of oil or plastic? Next I'll go look at the grinding wheel the welders
have been using to grind the electrodes...

  I also expect that a fair amount of decay products(daughter products)
> will have built up in the rods that are even more radioactive than the
thorium
> itself.  I would suggest a respirator with a hepa type filter if
available.

>    The lanthanide elements are somewhat toxic.  I would use a mask to
prevent
> inhalation of the dust.  It just makes good sense to do so.  You will
prevent
> possible irritation of lung tissue.  This goes with any activity that
creates
> much dust whether the dust is chemically toxic or not.
Indeed... as if the ozone from the arcs weren't bad enough.