[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnets

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:10:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Magnets

There has been a lot of talk about magnet quenching the spark gap on the
list.  This has gotten me interested.

I have been checking catalogs and have found many companies that sell
magnets.  Having access to a machine shop I would like to make my own
magnets the size, shape and design I want.   I have been researching magnets
and they are made of iron, aluminum and cobalt.   I checked with a metal
company but they can't tell me much.  Does anyone know of a metal that can
be used to make magnets.

I built a electro magnet with 2 coils 2000 turns each of #24 wire.  Power
supply is 170 VDC 7 amps.  I can increase the power to 678 VDC 7 amps. I
used it to increase the power of several old magnets.  I increased the
magnetisum of 6 round magnets.  I had no luck and increasing the power of 3
horse shoe magnets. If I could find the correct metal I could make my own
magnets.

Any suggestions

Gary Weaver