[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- And what of the FCC?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 21:25:00 GMT
From: Robert Michaels <robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE- And what of the FCC?

        I really don't know how to interpret your post.  Too many
        mixed ideas intertwined.
                I don't mind apples + oranges, but you've got
                peaches and pears, and kiwis and concord grapes,
                and, I think, a pomegranate in there.

        The best I can do is offer a few observations which may/
        may not be satisfying.  (I don't even know from which part
        of the world you are posting!).

        In the U.S.A.:

        -- Lawyers do not defend actions.  They defend rights.

        -- City Hall does not have any jurisdiction over spurious
                electromagnetic radiation.  Federal law has pre-empted
                all local control of the ether.

        -- If neighbors are aggrieved over one's Tesla-ing, and have
                asked you to stop (or asked the police to ask you)
                and you are fool enough to continue, then the recourse
                of the neighbors is to sue in  =civil=  court for
                an injunction, or for money damages.

        -- Although the Feds govern the airwaves, the local yokels
                can still act against you in broad, general ways
                such as charging disturbance of the peace, disorderly
                conduct, creating (or being) a public nuisance,
                violation of zoning regulations, etc.

                Police also have many subtle ways of harassing people
                who make assholes of themselves.  (Such as pulling
                you over and asking to see your license every time
                they spot your vehicle -- and claiming you are
                drunk and insisting on a breath test -- or imagin-
                ing they smell weed and detaining you until a
                drug-pooch can be brought to the scene.  And things
                lots worse - such as  =planting=  drugs or weapons).
                        Tho this is extralegal, it is difficult,
                        time consuming, and expensive to deal with.

        -- If you are in one of these situations, your only sane
                recourse is to  =stop=.  You can take up your activities
                again after things have cooled off -- and this time
                build that Faraday cage, reduce power levels, and
                take other precautions.

        -- If you are patently breaking the law, you are in trouble
                and lawyers (however clever) cannot change that fact.
                Or for that matter, any other fact. [read my first
                bulletted item again, please].

        -- Most lawyers go into tort law.  Or corporate/commercial law.
                Criminal law is not very lucrative and requires one to
                continually deal with the scum of the earth.  Hence
                there are rather few criminal lawyers and even
                fewer law firms so specializing.

                Criminal lawyers are scarce, expensive, and (like
                many lawyers) difficult to deal with.  And they
                invariably want cash up-front (There's no such
                thing as a contingency fee in criminal law!).
                        Defending against a simple thing, such as
                        shoplifting can cost $5,000.  A semi-serious
                        weapons violation, $10-12,000.  And that is
                        assuming you cop a plea!!  If you go to
                        trial, you may have to triple or quadruple the
                        above!   (Crime does not pay -- it costs.
                        Unless you're a criminal attorney of course.)

                                   - - - - - - -

        Are you sure you don't want to build that Faraday cage --
        and dial that Variac down a little??

                                        I still have that damn
                                        T-shirt, in -- Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels

        P. S.:  If you want to get an inkling of how Tesla-ing can
                seem to the neighbors, imagine a Zoomer parking
                himself next to you with his ghetto-blaster opened
                all the way up -- when you'd just as soon have a
                little peace and quiet after a long day.

                                (Why not start working on
                                that Faraday cage this weekend?)