[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ground Fault Interupters and RFI filters

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:02:59 -0500
From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Ground Fault Interupters and RFI filters

> Date:          Sun, 28 Sep 1997 23:11:33 -0600 (MDT)
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Ground Fault Interupters and RFI filters
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Richard,

The GFI looks for and trips off whenever it senses a very slight
leakage path of current from the hot side of the line to AC ground.
Proper flow of current to the normal safe load should come back all on the
neutral line.  Your RFI filters internally provide a leakage path
from the hot terminal to ground by virtue of their internal
circuitry.  This leakage is tripping the GFI.  The only way to get
around this would be to ground your RFI filters to AC neutral and not
earth ground.  That would negate much gained by use of the RFI
filters.

I'm not convinced that GFI's will be any more useful on a Tesla
coil than a screen door is on a submarine.  If I were you I'd 86 the
GFI's.

rwstephens