Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 19:58:07 -0400
From: "Roth, Leland" <webwise-at-johnstown-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re:  Magnetic quenched gaps [X-Rays ? ]

>" I recall a discussion on another list a while back regarding
>plasma globes and xrays... someone, Bert maybe, gave an answer
>indicating that vacuum was a crucial factor in generating xrays,
>i.e. the needed acceleration wouldnt happen at atmospheric pressure
>or thereabouts. Hope I am correct on this.
>Randy"
>	You are. Takes a vacuum to allow the electrons to get
>enough energy to generate X-rays at the anode.  Can't happen
>in a plasma globe or (high pressure) gas discharge.
>Ed

Hmmm. I wonder if output of a model-T spark coil connected to various legs
of common-garden variety radio and TV tubes could have generated much X-Rays?
I spent more than a few minutes amusing myself in this fashion as a kid. Nice
little fireworks shows from some of them.

Thanks,

Lee Roth
webwise-at-johnstown-dot-net