[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My Coil: Problems?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:51:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: My Coil: Problems?

<<
 Hey, I am back. I was away for a while but now I'm back at coiling.

 Anyways, I'll get straigth to the point. I have a medium size neon
 xfrmer coil.  The Neon xfrmr is a 12Kv -at- 60mA (Jefferson) . Anyway I
 tried to add a second xfrmer so i bought one. A different company though
 since I couldn't find a Jefferson, This one is a Allanson. Anyhow. Both
 xfrmers are 12Kv -at- 60mA, BUT.  The Jefferson indicates 720VA on the
 plate while the Allanson shows 360VA.

How can that be? Mathematically it should be 720, right?

 I have decided to connect them together in parallel. Making note of
 alligning the polarities so the xformers work in phase.  However It
 altered my coil operation drastically.  First of all. The sound the
 spark gap makes it TOTALY different. Previously on 1 xfrmer (4 gaps,
 series) it sounded a high pitched steady tone, loud. Now on 2 xfrmrs
 it sounds kinda choppy. The freq. of the sound also lowered (probably
 because of the choppines). I have not altered the capacitance nor
 the primary tap. Yet I see a small increase in output. Before I had 2
 xfrmrs. I was able to concentrate all of the coil's output (torroided)
 on a breakout point. Now I get sparks all around the torroid and the
 breakout point. When I remove the breakout point I see a lot of discharge
 from higher secondary windings to lower ones.

 I'd appreciate any input on these.

 Thanx

 Tom Heiber

Tom,

You now have 120 ma of current available (theoretically) and perhaps your
spark gap isn't quenching as well at this higher power level.  When I used to
run neon transformers on my 6" coil, I used a cylindrical spark gap with 6
total gaps of about .028" each and it worked well.  If you have sparks or
arcing on the seconday, you either are way out of tune or your coupling is
too tight.  Find the best tune and if you still have the problem, try raising
up the secondary (up away from the primary) about 1.0" at a time until the
problem goes away.

Ed Sonderman