[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ground Fault Interupters and RFI filters

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 22:10:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject: Ground Fault Interupters and RFI filters

9/29/97

I recently added a 30 A circuit breaker/GFI to my power cabinet.  It's
placed before the main contactor and variac.  Following the variac
there is a 100 A RFI filter.  Without the main power transformer
connected, the GFI trips when power is applied.  It still trips when
either the neutral or hot is disconnected and the other remains
connected.  Removing the RFI filter stops the GFI tripping.  I replaced
the RFI filter with two 200 A EMI filters on both the neutral and hot
line.  Same thing happens as with the RFI filter.

Has anyone had this experience with GFIs and RFI filters?  Anyone know
what the mechanism is?

RWW