[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sonderman Testing

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 16:45:17 -0700
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Sonderman Testing (fwd)

Ed,

Bet you didn't have any trouble hearing the cap's safety gap when it
fired! :^)

Seriously, you're seeing significant 60 Hz resonant rise between your
ballast inductance and your tank cap.
Four giveaways:
1. Your gap begins to sporadically (chaotic?) fire at about 25%. Do you
also hear a sudden increase in the "hum" or "growling" coming from your
pig at the 25% variac setting?

2. The tank cap's 1" safety gap begins firing at 60% of max input. BTW,
are this between sharp points or rounded electrodes?

3. Gap firing performance improves without the ballast shunt resistors
(higher ballast-tank cap Q).

4. Reducing the ballast inductance (increasing the current) results in
poorer coil performance as you move above the 60 Hz resonance region.
Your peak tank cap voltage is declining once you're off 60 Hz resonance.

The fact that your coil is in RF tune won't eliminate the effects of 60
Hz resonant rise. Under certain particularly nasty rotary gap spacing
and phasing conditions, your tank cap voltage can climb to 3X or 4X (or
even more) the peak estimated peak voltage coming out of your pig. This
phenomenon is likely what took out your previous cap, and it potentially
(NPI) will do the same for your new one!

Your "bang" size is clearly not a problem if you are intermittently
firing your capacitor's 1" safety gap. Based upon your earlier posts, it
sounds like your primary wiring should be as good, or better, than what
you had before. I'm beginning to think that one problem may be your 6"
secondary! Although your coil was previously a very hot performer
(especially for a 6" coil), SOMETHING is now limiting the efficiency of
energy transfer from your primary tank circuit to your resonator:toroid.

Some thoughts on what to look for/try next:
1. Change the current setting on your welder significantly so that you
"detune" it off 60 Hz resonance and leave it there until the root cause
of your coil's performance problem has been determined.

2. Reduce the cap's safety gap spacing, especially if it's arcing over
between rounded electrodes.

3. Look for any signs of inter-turn shorting, internal arcing, any "hot
spots" on the resonator, any odd burning smells, etc, any spots on the
coil that look "strange". Shorted turns in particular can seriously
reduce the performance of your secondary. Did you ever sustain any
arc-overs between primary to secondary which may have damaged the
resonator near the base?

4. Since your coil's in tune, do an extended run (60+ seconds) to see if
anything is getting abnormally "hot" in the primary circuit, as well as
anywhere on the resonator. Are there any signs of excessive RF ground
losses/heating? Remember: the energy that's not ending up in your
discharges is being dissipated somewhere ELSE in your system! You just
have to find out where!

5. Have you recently made any oscilloscope measurements of the coil
output waveform using a pickup plate or wire? Did anything look amiss?
Could you tell where you were quenching?

6. For a variety of reasons, it MAY be time to build a larger resonator
more capable of handling the power levels you're at. A 10" resonator (or
larger) WILL give you better performance.

Good luck, Ed! I know you've been fighting this problem for some time
now, and it must be frustrating!! Hope this helps a bit...

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --