[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

German Coil Tech Brief

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:05:19 +0000
From: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: German Coil Tech Brief

> > Hi Greg, All,
> > Any chance that I could a copy of that German coil tech brief?
> > Barry
> >
> <SNIP>
> Whoa!  You're just a bit optimistic :^)
>
> Here are some preliminary operating specs for the new coil:
>
> Input power -   130kVA  (380V, 200A, 3-phase)
> Resonant freq - 38kHz
>
> I have tech brief on a German coil (circa 1964) that ran at 20.3 kHz, and
> if I understand correctly it operated at 200kVA, using a single static
> spark gap with an air blast across it!!!
> -GL

Yes, if you have access to the National Technical Information Service.
The title is:  Tesla Transformers, by Werner Heise.
The NTIS document number is:  FTD-HT-23-972-71.

My copy was unfortunately made from a poorly maintained microfiche
reader, and is full of scribblings and cross-outs where I had to
infer or guess what the words were.  The translation into English
is also somewhat awkward, but well worth the effort, IMO.

I had come across this paper back in 1989 when I was doing homework
for my first coil.  I was having a difficult time finding good, solid
technical treatments of TC's, or experienced people who would talk
about their closely-held 'secrets of coil making'.  There was also no
shortage of techno-garbage obscuring the matter -- "light your home,
farm or ranch at a fraction of the usual cost" !!!

The Heise paper was a welcomed 'break in the clouds', and provided a
solid fundamental understanding of the overall theory (complete with
differential equations) as well as addressing some of the practical
limitations (dielectric loss, magic coupling values, breakdown).

I am surprised that no one on the List has ever referred to Heise's
paper.  IMO, it is the most comprehensive treatment of TC theory and
operation of any I have read to date, including the CSN or any of
the more modern 'how-to' books that are for sale.

Perhaps someone with more technology than I could find the original
document, and OCR it for the List.

-GL