[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oil filled Secondary Coil

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 24, 1997 3:22 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Oil filled Secondary Coil

On Wednesday, September 24, 1997 12:30 AM Gary Weaver
[SMTP:gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net] wrote;

> I have an idea but before I build it I thought I would ask if anyone has
> tried this or if anyone thinks its worth trying...
>
> ...If a secondary coils is placed in high voltage oil to stop secondary coil
> arcs and sparks.  Could the power of the TC then be expected to increase
> beyond its limit?

Many Tesla coils have been built with the secondary if not the entire
coil including the primary immersed in oil. The coils described in
Haller and Cunninghams book and the coil built by Tuva were oil
immersed and that seemed to allow them to get higher output than
possible with their coils operating in air, this seems plausable
since most oils have better dielectric qualities than air.

> My ideas is to put a 4" secondary coil inside of a 6" PVC pipe.  Put end
> caps on both ends of the 6" pipe.  The secondary coil wire can be attached
> to a screw terminal on each end cap.

You may want to increase that to say a 4" coil in a 10" diameter PVC
pipe. I don't think one inch of oil is going to give very much
insulation to Tesla coil currents, but the 3" may make a difference.
Either way you'll never know untill you try it and your idea doesn't
seem to be too costly to try.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/