[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring where quench occurs

From: 	Jason Judd[SMTP:Jason.Judd-at-anu.edu.au]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 24, 1997 11:01 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Measuring where quench occurs

Hi all,

I have recently been watching waveforms of my coil on a scope. The scope is
set up about 8' from the coil with a short wire on the end of the probe. I
clearly see two notches and then a very slow low amplitude decay. By
varying K the number of rings in each notch changes ( of couse ), but what
am I actually seeing here does this show that the gap is quenching after
the second notch ? I wouldn't have thought so because the secondary will
continue to ring until the energy has been disipated ?

My tests have been carried out at low power levels so far, but I found that
when I turned up the power sometimes I would see a third notch.

Do other people measure the quench by directly measuring accross the gap ?

Thanks,

Jason