[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neons and Sync Gaps

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 24, 1997 3:11 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Neons and Sync Gaps

<<
> Might be time for the scope again. I've never seen it quench with
> energy still in the primary. I wasn't using airblast as such - just a
> gentle breeeze from a fan. Can your rotary quench first notch with
> no output streamer? Wherever that energy is coming from, it doesn't
> need to be a great deal to seriously overvolt the neon. It was very
> low judging by the safety gap discharge. 1/2 inch "safety" gap
> setting is no real safety at all.

> Still tryin' to crack it I guess,
> Malcolm
>  >>

Malcolm,

My TC requires full power output streamers to get 1st notch quench,
even at half power I get 6th notch quench with the 2 series gap series
rotary (not sure about the 8 gap series rotary at half power).  With no
output streamers, I never get 1st notch quench.  I agree, any gap is
unlikely to quench when there's any energy in the primary.

Was your 1/2" safety gap 1/2" total, or 1/2" on both sides of trannie?
I assumed you meant 1/2" total.

John Freau