[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

And what of the FCC?

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 24, 1997 2:59 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: And what of the FCC?

At 11:01 PM 9/23/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

  Greg and All -

  The National Electrical Code and UL are being violated every day by Tesla
Coilers and it is only a matter of time before the people who enforce these
codes will be cracking down on coilers. The FCC probably is not that
interested. Building inspectors would not consider this a political issue
but a life safety issue.

  Connecting any electrical device without a UL label to a building's
electrical system  is a violation of the NEC.  This could  especially be a
problem when a coil is operated in an apartment, school, or other type of
public building.  If a fire is started or someone injured because of a TC
there could be big liability problems.

So far coilers have been lucky. How long this will last is anybody's guess.
It is obvious that coilers should  be extra vigilant when working with Tesla
coils. If there are no fires or injuries the inspectors  pobably will not
show up. Be certain you keep on a friendly basis with your neighbors.

  The possibility of getting a UL label on a TC are nil. Like getting a
permit to work with explosives. Enjoy building and operating  Tesla coils
while you can and be absolutely sure you understand  how to avoid accidents
and the hazards inherent in the use of electricity. The smaller the coil the
least likely you will have any problems.

   John Couture (Licensed Professional EE)