[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sync Motors

From: 	teslaman-at-juno-dot-com[SMTP:teslaman-at-juno-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 23, 1997 8:31 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Sync Motors

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997 17:45:46 -0500 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:

> [...]
 The motor in question sounds like a permanent capacitor, split phase
(P.S.C) motor which I have modified several of.  All single phase a/c
induction motors need at least 2-phases to start the armature rotation.
Most use capacitance to simulate a second phase which is 90 electrical
degrees from the main field winding.   I like the P.S.C.motors because
there are no internal or external switches to deal with.               40
watts  should be in the 1/20 to 1/15 H.P. range which will spin a 7" x
1/4" disk and 2-electrodes from experience.   With 3600 R.P.M. it will
need 2-flats, if 1800 R.P.M. then 4-flats would be required.  I
personally like the 3600 motors to modify because there won't be as much
power lost as in modifying a 1800 R.P.M motor.   There will also be more
air flow over the electrodes with the higher speed.

Kevin E.