[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary Qs

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 23, 1997 2:49 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Primary Qs

John,
     You're observing M on a learning curve here...

Don't know.

> If it's kickback that's doing the damage, then maybe resonant
> charging is relatively completely safe.  Have you estimated the
> peak voltages of the kickback in your system?

About 20kV+ judging by the "safety" gap setting. It was as if a small
amount of energy suddenly ran into a brick wall. I used to think that
resonant charging was the problem until I saw this. I still think
overvolting is a problem but letting resonant charging take one up to
peak o/c transformer voltage would seem to be just fine.

> Would simple 3k ohm resistors in series with the neon output
> leads reduce the RF enough, esp. with some bypass caps to
> ground?

I had my much loved "filter" board in the line when all this happened.

> Just tossing out some thoughts here,

Thanks. This one deserves to be cracked. It is a problem for
everybody. I'll do more work on it when I get another neon.

Malcolm