[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: Magnetic quenched gaps

From: 	David Huffman[SMTP:huffman-at-FNAL.GOV]
Sent: 	Monday, September 22, 1997 10:51 AM
To: 	'Tesla List'
Subject: 	RE: Magnetic quenched gaps

I have a question/problem with magnetic quenching. I can see how the magnetic field can divert the arc in the gap and will cause it to extinguish sooner then it would without the magnet. During the time when the energy is mostly in the secondary (notch) and the gap is filled with ions with relatively little movement, the magnetic field applies very little force (F = qvB) on the stuff you want to remove from the gap. It would seem that an air blast would work as good or better since to be effective the field needs to be very large.
Dave Huffman