[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

toroid size

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, September 22, 1997 2:57 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: toroid size

<< I am interested in information on the ratio of toroid capacity versus
> system power input, i.e.
> For a given input power level has a rule of thumb been arrived at, as is
> to what size of toroid the secondary is capable of charging.

> Gwyn D Zucca

Gwyn,

There does seem to be a direct relationship between the power
input and the needed toroid size (capacity).  I find in my coils,
that a 700 watt input requires a 4" by 17" toroid, or a 5" by 20"
toroid.  A 2100 watt input requires a 6" by 26" toroid, for longest
output sparks, (These are ballpark sizes).  For longest
sparks, for a given input power, the toroid must be large enough
that only one spark output streamer is formed.  I find that in general,
the toroid size must double for every fourfold increase in input
power...the square law is in effect here.
Some coilers prefer to use a slightly smaller
toroid so that multiple streamers are formed.  Or sometimes the
coupling can be increased to produce a greater number of shorter
streamers.  The above toroid sizes assume an efficient Tesla coil,
Many 700 watt TCs can tolerate only a 12" dia toroid.  There are so
many variables that can completely change what I state above...all
based on the combination of coil parameters.  It's best to do your
own experimentation in this area since you'll undoubtedly receive
wildly differing responses.  I realize you're looking for a starting
point.

And...welcome to the list,

Regards,

John Freau