[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnetic quenching

From: 	Richard Wayne Wall[SMTP:rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, September 19, 1997 2:24 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Magnetic quenching

You wrote:

>A friend of mine had the idea to put a turn of the primary around the
spark
>gap so as the spark gap breaks down the magnetic field created would
help
>quench the gap. I haven't heard of anyone trying this yet though.
>
>Ideas ?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Jason

I tried it.  It doesn't work.  The magnetic field lines of the loops
around the spark gap are at right angles to the magnetic fields in the
spark gap current.  I'm now winding a toroid which is placed over a
pyrex enclosed spark gap.  In theory the toroid magnetic field could
oppose (quench) or aid the spark gap magnetic field.  Could add a
little "control" to a spark gap.  Perhaps someone could grab a few
numbers and crunch 'em to help design a better sg toroid.

RWW