[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: coulomb madness!

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 18, 1997 2:54 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: coulomb madness!

At 01:42 PM 9/16/97 +0000, you wrote:

>From: 	bmack[SMTP:bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net]
>Sent: 	Monday, September 15, 1997 11:27 PM
>To: 	tesla list
>Subject: 	coulomb madness!

------

   Jim M. and All -

  I cannot speak for others but I do not believe in "different coulombs". I
believe the coulomb is a quantity of 6 x 10^18 electrons or unit charges and
is the same for both the electrostatic (static charges) or electromagnetic
(moving charges) systems. This is a  relationship accepted by all of the
electrical engineers and scientists of the world.

 The coulomb is the same for both the CGS (electrostatic) and the MKS
(electromagnetic) syatems. I have never heard of anyone who has "changed or
disputed the coulomb". Some coilers appear to feel uncomfortable with the
coulomb and the es and em systems.

  Your suspicions about the conversion ratios between the CGS and MKS
systems are well founded. Some of these conversion ratios have values of
about 3 x 10^9 . These were ratios that involved velocities between the two
systems. When Clerk Maxwell was working on his great Treatise and noted that
the speed of light was also about 3 x 10^9  he was prompted to state that
light waves appeared to be the same as electromagnetic waves. Hundreds of
experiments and years of research later by others proved him to be correct.

  The science of measurements and standards is more complex than Tesla coils
and warrants it's own "List". I believe for the Tesla List we should
continue as we are doing, that is, discussing  TC design, building, and
testing of coils. As far as units are concerned, however, we should only
concern ourselves with using the proper terminology and concepts that are
accepted by today's engineers and scientists. This is best done by also
making use of simple equations to illustrate the point being discussed.

  John Couture