[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Research Possibilities

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 17, 1997 1:01 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Tesla Research Possibilities

 From:   Pete Demoreuille[SMTP:pbd-at-cybernex-dot-net]
 Sent:   Monday, September 15, 1997 7:27 PM
 To:     tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
 Subject:    Tesla Research Possibilities

 All -
     This year I have the opportunity to do independent research
 as a class in school.  Being very interested in Physics, Math and
 the like, I hope to be able to do further research into the several
 Coils that I have built.  I am hoping that some of you have some ideas
that you could share with me, or could give me comments on some of the
 design ideas that I have listed below.  I hope for this to be original
 research - hopefully I will be able to enter this project as a
 Westinghouse project - but it must be original and at least somewhat
 applicable to the real world - no matter how small.

 I was wondering about several things.  Why is the accepted standard
 of turns in the 400-1200 range?  Is there a rationale??

--------------------------------------- snip

  Pete -

   Keep in mind that today's Tesla coils are designed and built for long
sparks. This is not what Tesla invented the TC to do. Tesla invented the TC
to produce ultra high voltages at high power for his world electrical
system. The TC is a resonant air core transformer and can produce higher
voltages at higher powers compared to any other electrical apparatus
available at present.

   If you are interested in TC theory and why Tesla needed the TC I suggest
that you read all of Tesla's writings that you possibly can. Also read as
much as possible what was published before the 1930's regarding TC's when
interest in TC's was at its greatest.  You will also need to be well versed
in electrical engineering and physics.

  If you are interested in long sparks the Tesla List is your best bet.

  John Couture