[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Chokes too close to primary?

From: 	Gary Lau  16-Sep-1997 0936[SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 16, 1997 8:46 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Cc: 	lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com
Subject: 	Chokes too close to primary?

Dear Dr. Resonance,

Your recent post reminds me of the unresolved tank-to-gnd arcing problem
I'm facing and posted several weeks ago.  Summarizing, since installing
a pair of 9mH (30AWG x 2.38"D x 6.75"L air core) chokes, my tank circuit
wants to arc to any grounded point 3" or less away.  Initially the chokes
were vertically mounted, top end about 5" below my primary.  I also
suspected that the primary could be exciting the chokes (like little
secondaries) so I moved the xfmr(15K/30mA), bypass caps (600pF), chokes,
and series R's (3K/50W & damn hot!), 3-4 ft below the primary, orienting
the chokes horizontally, off axis from primary, and 90 deg from each
other.  No Joy.

I had concluded that having a really effective pair of chokes has
essentially completely decoupled my tank from the ground reference and
that voltages like I'm seeing are all a part of the tank's resonant rise.
My solution has been to simply move things around to keep grounded points
away from the tank!

Back to the theory that the primary is coupling into the chokes, do you
really think that they need to be 10-15' distant to avoid coupling?
Yikes!  If so, maybe this is a good reason to consider (well insulated!)
ferrite torroid chokes, they being less inclined to couple than solenoids?

How close can you bring a grounded surface to your tank before it arcs?

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA