[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Research Possibilities

From: 	Pete Demoreuille[SMTP:pbd-at-cybernex-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, September 15, 1997 7:27 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Tesla Research Possibilities

All -
	This year I have the opportunity to do independent research
as a class in school.  Being very interested in Physics, Math and
the like, I hope to be able to do further research into the several
Coils that I have built.  I am hoping that some of you have some ideas
that you could share with me, or could give me comments on some of the
design ideas that I have listed below.  I hope for this to be original
research - hopefully I will be able to enter this project as a
Westinghouse project - but it must be original and at least somewhat
applicable to the real world - no matter how small.

I was wondering about several things.  Why is the accepted standard
of turns in the 400-1200 range?  Is there a rationale??  Why hasn't
anyone ever made a coil with many more turns, i.e. 3000+.  If making
the coil have a desirable aspect ratio is such a problem, then use a
thinner wire, and to make higher currents possible in the coil you may
use multiple layers wired in parallel.  (and does aspect ratio really
matter *within reason* in resonator coils or base fed coils???)
With a secondary with many more turns, wouldn't it be possible to
greatly increase the pri/sec coupling without having to worry about
interturn breakdown - because there are so many more turns, the
interturn voltage rise would be bearable.

Also, relating to efficiency.  Has anyone ever tried other primary
designs?  i.e. not just flat and helical, and ones with a constant
slope, but ones with a constantly increasing slope, in order to make
a more desireable field and completely 'immerse' the coil in the field,
making voltage rise occur over the entire coil - not just the bottom
half.

** many many questions coming - be warned  **
Has anyone ever done research into why the color of the sparks are what
they are - i.e. purple when they terminate in the air, and white/blue
when striking an object.  I know that glass is supposed to give purple
spindly sparks - but why?? the rate it discharges at?  its higher
dialectric constant??  What do caps of Barium whateveritis do to
spark color?? why are caps with a higher dialectric constant less
efficent when operating at RF??  why do secondary coil forms with
a thicker wall cause more RF loss??

Wow.  I think I exhaused my questions for the moment -

THANKS ALOT FOR ANY INPUT!

Pete Demoreuille, Delbarton School

ps:  one more - what kind of amperage is entering the coil from ground?
And exactly why does the amperage convert from AMPS at the bottom
of the coil to potential at the top??  The secondary is for the most
part DC?  shouldn't current be constant??
(last one i promise) :)