[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New testing, more

From: 	George W. Ensley[SMTP:erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, September 12, 1997 4:33 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: New testing, more

>sinp snip<

>After I shut the system down for the night, I checked the rotary gap
>carefully and found the gap between the stainless steel acorn nuts on the
>polycarb disc and the fixed (2) tungsten electrodes to be a bit wider than I
>would like.  The disc doesn't run perfectly true so I need a bit more gap
>than I would like.  The total was probably about .150 to .200".  I closed it
>down as close as possible without it hitting.  The total gap now is probably
>.100" plus the three .030 static gaps for maybe .190" total.  Will the system
>be this sensitive to gap distance setting?
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Now I am answering my own post.  This exact set up has now killed two C.P.
>caps.  I can't afford to keep doing this.  Maybe you can have the resistance
>of the primary circuit too low and the cap can't take it.  By the way, the
>primary is 14 turns of 3/8" copper tubing for a total of 84 microheneries.
>
>Thanks,  Ed Sonderman

Ed,

I have a very similar setup 14 turns of 3.8 copper, wobbly rotary and all. I
have used
salt water, maxwell 45kvdc and CSI 50kvdc caps with 2ea 6" coils and 1ea 9" coil
with no problems. Same primary setup in all cases.

If your ballasting behaves as mine does the R only serves to keep the L tame
enough
to run the coil smoothly. Perhaps the cap problem is over voltage aided by
the arc
welders large inductance.

As to the gaps, when i begin to have problems like that, i replace the acorn
nuts and
reset the distance as well as i can with the wobbly wheel. My rsg probably
wouldn't
even fire with a static gap in series.

I have shorted RG8/U foam cable from center to shield, I didn't have to
wonder, the
ammeter, the fire and the smell all gave it away. This happened at a low
rotor speed
where kick backs got nasty.

George..........