[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Electrosattics Revisited II

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 10, 1997 3:43 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: TC Electrosattics Revisited II

Richard Hull wrote:

[snip]
> It is important to note that the electrostatic coulomb and the
> electrodynamic coulomb (as defining current) are different beasts.  The
> 1 ampere coulomb for electrodynamics is the "effective passage of
> relative charges" and not the real passage of electrons.  The coulomb
> of static electricity is real held charge represented by static charge
> units.
>
> One coulomb of electrostatic charge has the potential for vastly more
> effective work than one ampere flowing in a circuit.

Surely that depends upon the L's and C's involved!!! Consider this example:

For inductors,  E = 1/2 LI^2
For capacitors, E = 1/2 CV^2

Since V = Q/C, E = 1/2 Q^2/C for capacitors as well.

Compare the energy stored in a 10 Farad capcitor with 1 coulomb of charge,
vs. the energy stored in a 10 Henry inductor with 1 Ampere of current.
>From the above equations:

Ecap = 0.05 Joules.
Eind = 5.00 Joules.

> The electrostatic
> unit concerns itself with scalar potential or voltage, while the other
> value links the coulomb to current in metallic circuits only with no
> voltage equivalence.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

This whole 'coulomb equivalence' thing is starting to sound like
'urban lore', as I have not met anyone _outside_of_this_List_ who
has ever heard of such a thing.  Are you guys funnin' with me?

-GL