[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

25" sparks from an OBIT

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 09, 1997 5:10 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	25" sparks from an OBIT

All,

As an experiment, I removed the 12kV, 30ma neon trans from my
42" spark TC, and replaced it with a 10kV, 23ma, OBIT (oil burner
ignition transformer).  After tightening the sync-gap electrode
spacing, and rephasing the sync-gap phase slightly, the coil gave
25" sparks.  The original .007uF cap, and 5" by 20" toroid were
utilized.  I did not install any PFC caps onto the tranny input, thus
the coil drew 800 VA, but 500 watts as measured on a Weston
Lab type analog wattmeter.  The OBIT is rated at 250 VA, but the
use of resonant charging allows more current to be drawn.  I do
not recommend subjecting an OBIT to this kind of abuse, since it
may fail.  In fact, my spark output has shortened to 23", and it is
possible that the OBIT is already failing.  Sparks occasionally
jumped right across the OBIT HV terminal, causing it to function
as a safety gap, hmmm.

John Freau