[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A Puzzle

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 07, 1997 4:32 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: A Puzzle

Bert wrote:

> It clearly sounds like Greg is seeeing not only the initial top load
> capacitive surge, but also the follow-through of resonator-supplied
> current during power arcs. Additional current is being supplied not only
> from distributed self-C, but is also being electromagnetically coupled
> from the primary through Zo of the secondary as well since the base and
> claw current waveforms appear to be phased similarly. This might be
> expected if a power arc from the previous bang is reignited on a
> subsequent bang prior to full secondary ring-up. However, it may take a
> large coil running at fairly high power to see this effect, particularly
> over multiple RF cycles. I do know on single shots on my smaller coil
> that ALL the secondary energy goes to zip if a power 'spark" occurs at a
> point near the secondary voltage peak. In Greg's case, it appears that
> power arcs ARE power arcs...

Yes -- I believe that the coil was operating more like a welder in that
photo than a finely tuned TC, given how quickly the secondary current
would decay during the power arcs.  I'm sure you're correct that a good
fraction of the primary energy was going straight thru the secondary to
the low resistance arc channel with little resonant rise, given that the
loaded Q of the sec was so low (<10).

-GL