[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Terminal Capacitance

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 07, 1997 9:51 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	More Terminal Capacitance

Hi all,
         I've just added a somewhat larger (and misshapen) terminal
to my work coil and added another turn to the primary to maintain
tune. I set the gap to fire at 14kV and the coil was throwing big fat
blue ones single shot to two feet or so. Also noticeable was an
immediate improvement in primary Q. I compared the new waveform with
one held in the storage scope. The gap now goes out on the fifth
ringup as opposed to the fourth previously. There is also a reduction
in output voltage.
     In doing this I have added around 13pF and now Ctop = Cresonator.
I will repetitively fire it outside of business hours (and hope it
doesn't attach to the fire alarm sensor on the ceiling).
    The extra output current is obvious now. I no longer hold a
discharge rod when running it single shot. I got shocks every time
and the ones obtainable at the zenith of attached streamers were
quite alarming. I was getting zapped through rubber soled shoes.
It would be quite a beast if I had the power supply to repetitively
fire it with a 15kV gap setting.

Malcolm