[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Isotropic secondary capacitance

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 07, 1997 5:05 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Isotropic secondary capacitance

Hello Jim,

There is indeed!! You'll be pleased to know that after a three month
search while researching a TC article for a magazine, I found it. It
is Medhurst's formula:

C = HD pF  where D is coil diameter in cm and H is a factor that
follows the law:
                 h/d = 2     H = 0.51
                 h/d = 5     H = 0.81
Interpolation is linear for this h/d range. H bottoms out at 0.46 for
an h/d = 1 (which as fate would have it was the final form Tesla's
extra coil took :)  The tabulated values for H remove the complex
mathematics from the formula.

Malcolm