[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A Puzzle

From: 	DR.RESONANCE[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, September 06, 1997 12:55 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: A Puzzle

Subj: Van de Graaffs

The average current from a Van de Graaff is usually less than 100
microAmps, but as Greg pointed out the peak current is many amps.  Our
machine with a 30 inch (76 cm) terminal produces peak current discharges of
125 amps (for 800 nanosec) every time it fires.  The peak current in amps
can easily be determined by measuring the total capacitance of the machine.
 Divide the in coulombs by the time in sec (assume 1 microsec for most
machines) and this gives the total peak current in amperes.

Hope this helps out.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net