[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer question

From: 	Thomas McGahee[SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 04, 1997 6:52 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Transformer question

helpful before I try this.  I have two H&R transformers which I want
to submerse in oil. In order to save space I would like to do the
following. The transformers have the 'E' and 'I' laminations and all
the 'E's and 'I's are on together, not alternated the way some
transformer are built. My question is can the 'I' section be removed
from each transformer and then couple the two together? I would of
course phase the primaries so the field is correct. My initial
thoughts are that this should work, but I often overlook the obvious.
 I hope it is clear what I want to do.
> Any comments would be appreciated.
> Dave Huffman
> BTW If this will work it will allow the two transformers to be
placed in the bottom of a 5 gallon plastic bucket. A couple of brass
bolts through the side and I have a poor mans pole pig.

Dave,
That should work out OK as long as the two "E" sections are properly
aligned and the primaries are then phased properly. The "current
limiting" feature should remain intact. Any misalignment of the "E"
sections will result in a magnetic gap that can cause wasted primary
current.

Make sure you properly phase the secondaries also! Let us all know
how your experiment turns out.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom

P.S. here is a post from Steve Falco about how he immersed his H&R
trannies, in case you missed it.

Subject:  Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA (in oil!)
      Date:  Mon, 16 Jun 1997 07:42:40 -0400
      From:  Steve Falco <sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

SNIP!
*****
I decided to try submerging the transformers in oil, for extra
protection.  I bought two Coleman "8 quart personal coolers".  These
are
insulated, well reinforced plastic tubs with fairly tight fitting
lids
and a sturdy carrying handle.  They are a fairly tight fit to the
transformers - perhaps a half inch of clearance, so not too much oil
is
wasted.  I also cut pieces of .093 LDPE, and wedged them here and
there
to keep all the wires away from the transformer coils, to guarantee a
minimum separation.

Since the cover fits fairly tightly, I replaced the thick HV
secondary
leads with thinner PVC wire.  All wires were draped over the sides of
the cooler, then the lid was locked in place.  I may eventually use
some
silicone caulk to seal up the coolers, but for now it is nice to be
able
to open them for inspection.

I am not using the resonating capacitors that came with the
transformers.  I need to rig up an HV probe to see what I am really
getting out of them.  There have been no problems of any kind on the
short test runs I have done.  I don't have a variac so I have just
been
plugging into full line voltage.  (YeeeHaaa).

Spark length is just a few inches now, because I only have a .005 uF
cap.  Building something in the .05 - .10 range will be my next
project...

        Steve Falco