[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help!(with wire size) Please!!

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 04, 1997 12:39 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Help!(with wire size) Please!!

"This discussion brings up the interesting question of skin effect.....has
anybody experimented with winding a secondary using Litz wire?"
	I have.  Wound a 5-1/4" by 18" coil with litz wire which had
the same outside diameter as #24 (would have to find the spool to
remember what the actual litz designation was, but think it had about
50 strands).  Performance was definitely poorer than smaller coils
I have wound with solid wire.  Not sure what conclusion you can reach
from that, but for TC work I wouldn't go to the expense of litz.
In my opinion the UNLOADED Q doesn't matter very much , just the
coupled power during discharge.  I'm sure there are those who
will disagree......................
	For VLF antenna loading coils litz gives about 50% more
Q than solid wire, in my experience which is limited to a couple
of coils.  However, in actual use the unloaded Q is unimportant,
but for a different reason.  The resistance of a typical ground
circuit is much larger than the effective resistance of the loading
coil.
Ed