[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help!(with wire size) Please!!

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 03, 1997 8:16 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Help!(with wire size) Please!!

Hi Geoff,

Yes! My best small/medium sized resonator is wound with Litz which a
sharp-eyed colleague who is not into coiling scored for me for $5!!
It is about 3" dia x 18" long (L around 20mH).
    The mini coils are the only others I've built (much smaller) that
have performed beyond expectation and they were close-wound with
solid wire approaching 6 skin depths diameter. I didn't make any real
use of field control with those as they were a sight to behold with a
shower of streamers pouring off from halfway upwards.
    All of a sudden I'm getting keen to revert to space winding as
tests show that I can do much better with smaller spaced wire. Looks
pretty too :)

Malcolm
<snip>