[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quenching Question

From: 	Julian Green[SMTP:julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 03, 1997 11:45 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Quenching Question

Following my attempts to get scope shots of my coil (images comming Malcolm)
with and without spark breakout I am wondering the reasons for good quenching.

I have proved that fast quenching increases spark length - but why?

When the spark gap fires it connects the cap and primary to form a tank
circuit which generates the RF.   The secondary starts to ring as the energy
in the primary circuit transfers to the secondary.   The amplitude of the
secondary builds until output spark forms and energy exits the system.

For all this to happen the primary tank circuit must remain connected (spark
gap not quenched).  Quenching the spark gap too soon will prevent generation
of primary RF.   On my coil the peek in secondary RF comes after 3-4 cycles
and if sparks are allowed the secondary RF is killed at this point.  Any
events that occur after we simply don't care about, or do we?

Any comments?
Julian Green