[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Oil-immersed RFCs

From: 	Mark S Graalman[SMTP:wb8jkr-at-juno-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 03, 1997 4:38 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Oil-immersed RFCs

    Hi Owen,  The reason RF chokes are wound in sections is to reduce the
distributed "C" in the winding, in
transmitter plate circuitry this is important because if the choke
becomes self resonant at the frequency the
transmitter is being used it will absorb power and self destruct. In
tesla coil applications this is not really
an issue, but voltage break down is and by winding the choke into
seperate sections you in effect are
creating several chokes in series and the RF voltage will divide between
the sections. You could picture
it as resistors in series.

				Mark Graalman

Mark Graalman,   Toledo, Ohio
Callsign: WB8JKR
Member: Society of Telecommunications Engineers
Member: ARRL
Member: TCBA