[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A Puzzle

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 02, 1997 11:49 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: A Puzzle

Hi DR RESONANCE,

They most certainly are different. The L x Ctot products are
identical. I think it is boiling down to difference in resonator
losses. The scenario I am going to look for shortly is how different
are the oscillation times between the two. The low voltage unloaded
dynamic Q's are _vastly_ different. The large resonator has a measured
Q of over 300 while the small one is probably less than a hundred (if
memory serves me well).
    I am now wondering whether this problem might relate to the
apparent differences in wall plug efficiency I noted in the coil
chart. If so, it is clear that large resonators wound with large
wire have got to be better. This experience suggests so.

?
Malcolm