[Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Research

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, August 31, 1997 8:32 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: More Research

At 07:26 PM 8/31/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

Malcolm  I would still have to say no they always got longer.  I will state
that I never felt I had the room or facilities to mount a truly giant toroid
on a physically big system.  This may change with Alex Tajnsek's new giant
lab building as the really large TCBOR work will move to his lab from mine.

example:  I have seen Bill Wysocks large magnifier (100+ KVA) in person.  He
uses a specially made spun aluminum toroid of 8 foot diameter and 3 foot
cross section.  I feel this system is grossly under loaded!  This is well
evidenced by the tendancy of the arcs to literally tear into the resonator
windings, blowing off huge hunks of insulation.  (zero field
control)...(actually field outta' control)

Based on what I have done and seen, he should have at least a 16 foot
diameter toroid of 4 foot cross section!  This might even only be a good
start!  Maggey 11- E currently uses a toroid ~4 times larger in diameter
than the extra coil is long!

The problem with ground mounted maggey systems with huge loadings is
elevation.  There is never enough elevation.  Two coil systems are
especially bad in this respect with most of the "guts and primary "jamed up
the butt" of the resonator.

Wonderful things happen when the system is flipped upside down!  A lot of
old heartaches and headaches melt away and new ones sign on for the wild ride.

Richard Hull,  TCBOR