[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sync-TC, latest results

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Thursday, October 30, 1997 1:55 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Sync-TC, latest results

Hello all (John Freau in particular),
                                       I got a couple of "facts"
wrong yesterday. Ctot is now around 40pF with the large terminal, not
30. The terminal adds as much capacitance as there is Cself in the
bare coil. Also, I measured the terminal. It is 24" in diameter, not
22 and the thickness is 11", not 16 :(   Fr with this terminal is
about 122kHz (was 146-odd with the small topload).
     To bring it into tune after adding what amounted to an
additional 15pF-odd, I added one more turn to the primary which got
Fp within cooee. That boosted its inductance from about 12 to 18uH.
The first thing the scope made obvious was an increase in primary Q.
The decr slope had changed and the number of no-breakout beats
increased by one to sometimes two (vast improvement). Another
interesting thing that happened was the shape of the envelope changed
into something a bit less than linear. I attribute that to the
increased primary Q and the simultaneous decrease in secondary Q.
I must keep my notes handy for times like this.

Sorry 'bout that,
Malcolm