[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

What items have PCBs?

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, October 27, 1997 1:58 PM
To: 	tesla list
Subject: 	What items have PCBs?

I have read some of the safety pages and warnings on the web about the
dangers of PCB oils, and I have a couple of unanswered questions:

1.  Which items have PCB Oil or how do it tell?  I have some capacitors
from "Glass Mike" and "Plastic Capacitor" which clearly have some kind of
oil in them, is this PCB oil?  I had one that leaked, and I had it
disposed of immediately, just to be on the safe side.

2.  How about that black tar in the Neon transformers.  I unpotted a
couple a few years back, and now in retrospect I am wondering if perhaps
that was not such a good idea.  Anybody have any idea what that black
crud is, or what % of PCBs it may contain?

3.  Is exposure to PCB oils a long term effect and/or cummulative, like
that of lead poisoning?  How does exposure to PCB oils compare
statistically to say, cigarette smoking?  Are there any studies on the
WWW?

I want to keep coiling, cancer free, so this information is important to
me :-)

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Smith