[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Grades of Mineral Oil??

From: 	Jim Lux[SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, October 27, 1997 11:27 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Grades of Mineral Oil??

> At a local HamFest today, I picked up a gallon jug of mineral oil for
only
> $1. However, I note that the label says  LUBINOL (Light Mineral Oil
N.F.).  I
> am worried about the designation "Light". Surely they don't mean there is
> *water* in it?  And, if there is "light" mineral oil, is there also
"heavy"
> mineral oil?  I hope to use this stuff for my own home built caps.

Light refers to the viscosity, i.e. it is low, as opposed to "heavy" which
is more viscous.
What you have is a medical grade lubricating mineral oil. The N.F. means
National Formulary, which provides some specs for the contaminants and
characteristics.

You know, you can buy real capacitor oil for about $3 a gallon new from
most oil jobbers. Then you don't have to worry about contamination, water,
etc, because you'll get it in a brand new 5 gal sealed bucket or can.

I note also that Maxwell labs uses Castor Oil in their caps (or they used
to, anyway)