[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 120 VAC Generator

From: 	gweaver[SMTP:gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, October 25, 1997 11:40 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: 120 VAC Generator

I don't know anything about the mechanical condition of the generator.  I
ask them if they remember where they got the engine from but they don't
remember.  You can tell from looking at it that it has not been used much.
An engine with a lot of use has oil covered dirt over the entire engine.
This unit no oil or dirt like that on it.  Also the blue paint is curling up
live potato chips of the engine block.  The curled paint indicates to me the
engine has not been cleaned in many years other wise the painted pieces
would have been washed off. It takes 10 years or more for paint to curl up
like that.  I would guess the engine has not been started in 10 or more
years.  Its possible that the pistons are stuck but thats usually not a
problem.  Squirt some oil in each cylinder threw the spark plug hole and let
it set a few days.  Then turn the engine by hand to break the pistons loose.
If that doesn't work then remove the engine head and use a board and a
hammer to break the pistons loose.  It has some rust places on the metal
case, but its not rusted all the way through the metal. It's just surface rust.
A little bondo and a new paint job and this unit would look nice.

I collect old antique engines, hit & mis engine, throttle governer engines,
steam engines, flywheel engines, hot air engines, hot air fans, stirling
engines, antique electric fans.  I am very tempted to buy the generator my
self but I don't have room for it, don't have time to work on it, and I
don't need it.

I live in Murfreesboro TN.  It is about a 4 hour drive to Atlanta from here.
Things at the scrap yard something get bought the same day they arrive and
sometimes things that I think someone will surely buy will be gone soon
don't get bought at all.  Its hard to say what will happen with this
generator.  It may be gone Monday and again it may set there for months and
not get bought at all.

Buying this generator is a gamble.  I wish I could find out where it came
from so I could call them and ask them some questions about the generator.

Gary Weaver