[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rubber toroids

From: 	Kristian Ukkonen[SMTP:kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi]
Sent: 	Wednesday, October 22, 1997 8:02 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Rubber toroids

A book "Plating with metals", written by Buchner-Waere in 1924
gives some solutions for coating with copper. I've got a
Finnish edition (original!) so the text below is my
translation.

The galvanoplastic solution:
200g coppersulphate per 30g pure sulphuric acid.

Making of 150 litre solution:
Take 200g*150=30kg CuSO4 and 30g*150=4.5kg H2SO4. Add
100litres of water to tank. Use a stone grating just
below surface and add slowly CuSO4 on the grating so
it slowly dissolves. This way CuSO4 effectively dissolves -
if it were all just added one would have to agitate the
solution for a long time. Then add H2SO4 while agitating
fiercily. After this add enough water to get 150litres
of solution.

For amperage higher than 3A it is recommended that one
uses 250g CuSO4 and 7-10g H2SO4.

Amps, voltage with 5cm distance, change of voltage per 5cm
0.50, 0.70, 0.23
1.00, 1.40, 0.46
1.50, 2.10, 0.69
2.00, 2.80, 0.92
2.50, 3.50, 1.15
3.00, 4.19, 1.38

temperature 15-20 C, specific gravity 1.13-1.14

Amps, voltage with 15cm distance, change of V per 5cm
3.0, 2.4, 2.4
4.0, 3.2, 3.2
5.0, 4.0, 4.0
6.0, 4.8, 4.8
7.0, 6.0, 6.0
8.0, 6.8, 6.8
9.0, 7.2, 7.2
10.0, 8.0, 8.0

temperature 15-20C, s.g. 1.15-1.16

It is recommended to agitate solution while plating with
high amperage - but NOT with air bubbling. Glass-stick
is recommended.

Target NEGATIVE, Cu-plate positive.

Please, notice that I personally havent tested this
plating process. However, the book is so brown-stained
(and has a bitter odor) that the original owner most
propably HAS tried the recipies. :) :)

Safe plating,

  Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |