[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Where are the PCBs?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 21:35:56 -0500
From: Geoffrey Schecht <geoffs-at-onr-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Where are the PCBs?

There were a lot of different trade names for polychlorinated biphenyls
used by the various manufacturers. I can't specifically remember any but
Pyranol.....I think that at least one more used an "ol" suffix. Most PCB
dielectrics went away sometime in the mid-to-late '70's, as I recall. If
PCB's really scare you that much, just avoid oilfilled caps that have
datecodes on them which indicate pre-1975 or so manufacture.

A lot of the newer ones specifically say "no PCB's" on their markings.

Since they're in a sealed environment, PCB filled caps present no danger to
you unless they're leaking. Even then, you won't keel over dead from
getting the stuff on your skin; just wash it off with a good grease-cutting
detergent and plenty of water. It's a carcinogen and it is most assuredly a
dangerous material as far as repeated or chronic exposure is
concerned....if you have a "leaker", just bag it up and take it to the
local hazmat disposal authority (fire departments can tell you what to do).
The stuff really shouldn't be dumped in a landfill since it will leach into
the ground and can wind up in the water tables. There's already enough of
it there, anyway, from previous generations dumping the stuff en masse'.

Geoff